The 2023 NCAA football season is underway, and the battle for the top 25 NCAA Football Rankings is already heating up. Several teams are off to impressive starts, while others are looking to bounce back from early losses.
Here is a look at the top 25 teams in the country according to the Associated Press poll, as of October 10, 2023:
- Georgia Bulldogs (6-0)
- Michigan Wolverines (6-0)
- Ohio State Buckeyes (5-0)
- Florida State Seminoles (5-0)
- Oklahoma Sooners (6-0)
- Washington Huskies (5-0)
- Oregon Ducks (5-0)
- Penn State Nittany Lions (5-0)
- USC Trojans (6-0)
- Texas Longhorns (5-1)
- Alabama Crimson Tide (5-1)
- North Carolina Tar Heels (5-0)
- Louisville Cardinals (6-0)
- Oregon State Beavers (5-1)
- Ole Miss Rebels (4-1)
- Washington State Cougars (4-1)
- Tennessee Volunteers (4-1)
- Wisconsin Badgers (5-1)
- Kentucky Wildcats (5-1)
- Utah Utes (5-1)
- Cincinnati Bearcats (5-1)
- Houston Cougars (5-1)
- Boise State Broncos (5-1)
- Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (5-1)
- BYU Cougars (5-1)
Analysis of the top 25
The top of the NCAA Football Rankings is dominated by defending national champion Georgia and last year’s runner-up Michigan. Both teams are off to perfect starts and have looked dominant in their victories.
Ohio State is another team that is off to a perfect start. The Buckeyes have one of the most explosive offenses in the country, led by quarterback C.J. Stroud and wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba.
Florida State has made a surprising rise to the top of the NCAA Football Rankings. The Seminoles are led by quarterback Jordan Travis and running back Trey Benson. Oklahoma is another team that has exceeded expectations this season. The Sooners are led by quarterback Dillon Gabriel and wide receiver Marvin Mims.
The rest of the top 25 is filled with a mix of familiar names and up-and-coming teams. Washington, Oregon, and Penn State are all perennial contenders, while USC and Texas are looking to return to the top of the college football world.
Alabama, which has won six national championships in the past 12 years, is ranked No. 11. The Crimson Tide have had a few close calls this season, but they are still one of the most talented teams in the country.
Contenders for the national championship
The top 25 teams in the country are all capable of making a run at the national championship. However, there are a few teams that stand out as the favorites.
Georgia and Michigan are the clear frontrunners at this point in the season. Both teams have dominant defenses and explosive offenses.
Ohio State is another team that could challenge for the national championship. The Buckeyes have one of the most talented offenses in the country, and their defense has improved significantly from last season.
Florida State and Oklahoma are two other teams that could make a deep run in the playoffs. Both teams have high-powered offenses and are led by experienced quarterbacks.
What to watch for in the second half of the season
The second half of the 2023 NCAA football season will be full of exciting matchups and storylines. Here are a few things to watch for:
- The battle for the top spot in the NCAA Football Rankings: Georgia and Michigan are currently the top two teams in the country, but there are several other teams that could challenge them for the top spot.
- The race for the College Football Playoff: Four teams will make the College Football Playoff at the end of the season. Who will those four teams be?
- The rise of new contenders: There are several up-and-coming teams that could make a splash in the second half of the season. Teams like North Carolina, Louisville, and Oregon State are all capable of making a run at the national championship