Google releases hundreds of algorithm updates each year, but only a few of them are considered to be major updates. Major updates typically have a larger impact on search rankings and can be more disruptive to website owners.
In 2023, Google has released the following major updates:
- March 2023 core update: This update focused on improving Google’s ability to understand the content of websites and to identify and rank high-quality content.
- August 2023 core update: This update was similar to the March core update, but it also focused on improving Google’s ability to understand the relevance of content to search queries.
- September 2023 helpful content update: This update was designed to improve the quality of search results by reducing the ranking of websites that publish content that is not helpful to users.
- October 2023 core update: This update is still rolling out, but it is expected to be similar to the March and August core updates.
Tips for website admins to stay in ranking in SERPs:
- Create high-quality content that is informative, engaging, and relevant to your target audience.
- Make sure your content is well-organized and easy to read.
- Use relevant keywords throughout your content, but avoid keyword stuffing.
- Optimize your website for mobile devices.
- Get backlinks from high-quality websites.
- Monitor your website’s performance and make adjustments as needed.
In addition to the above tips, it is also important to stay up-to-date on the latest Google updates. You can do this by following Google’s Search Central blog and by reading industry news websites.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful in light of the specific Google updates that have been released in 2023:
- For the March and August core updates, focus on creating high-quality content that is well-organized and easy to read. Make sure your content is also relevant to your target audience and that it uses relevant keywords throughout.
- For the September helpful content update, avoid publishing content that is not helpful to users. This includes content that is thin, promotional, or repetitive.
- For the October core update, continue to focus on creating high-quality content and optimizing your website for mobile devices.
By following these tips, website admins can increase their chances of staying in ranking in SERPs, even after Google updates its algorithm.